Slideshow

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5076 LED TruBrite 15.6-Inch Laptop

Toshiba Satellite L655D-S5076 LED TruBrite 15.6-Inch Laptop (Grey/Black) (Personal Computers) 
Worth every penny when it comes to looks, performance and display.
I've owned a Dell Inspiron 6400 before this, so my entire review is influenced by my personal experience with that machine.
The Dell I owned was a highly customized laptop with some of the best specs available to me 3 years ago. But the battery sucked. (Only time will tell how good the battery is on this TOSHIBA)
The one thing I miss in my Toshiba is Bluetooth, since I'm used to transferring pictures and taking back up from my phone all the time, over bluetooth. A conenience definitely, but its absence in Toshiba is definitely not a Limitation.

Pros:
- The Display is brilliant. At its highest setting, the screen looks bright enough to be able to read even in bright sunlight in a park (not that I do it, but its just an example to give you an idea of how bright it is)
  • The Multi-touch fingerpad is quite useful once you get used to it. You can tweak its settings from the properties, and I have my 'Right Mouse Button', 'Middle Mouse Button', two finger scrolling, pinch zoom, picture rotation, all set on my fingerpad. I barely have to use the buttons under the finger pad. A lot of other settings enable me to control my mouse pointer like a well seasoned chef playing with a chef's knife!
  • The processor, albeit a tad noisy, does perform the way it is supposed to. I mean hey, its a Quad core, and so I tested it out by having Firefox and Chrome with 4-5 tabs each open while I played Left 4 Dead. I could never do this on my Inspiron (Core 2 Duo with a 2 GB RAM, but here on TOSHIBA it was a breeze!!! (Touchwood!)
  • The battery lasts me a good 2.5 - 3 hours with lots of applications running, some videos, and gaming (all of this at 50% screen brightness) which I think is pretty decent.
  • I like the little button above the fingerpad which lets me lock/unlock my fingerpad; so if I'm merely typing something, I can avoid mouse interference when my wrist or palm brushes over it mistakenly, by simply pressing that button and locking the mousepad.

Cons:
  • The fingerpad is placed on the left half of the computer, so using it with my right hand is a little inconvenient. I am ambidextrous so it isn't too big a deal for me, but still I wish it was a little more to the center.
  • There's no depression or demarcation of the fingerpad from the rest of the body (except that it gets a little rough textured) so my fingers tend to run out of the fingerpad when using it to scroll or do fancy stuff.
  • A little noisy at times. The fan starts running and doesn't give up... It doesn't happen all the time, and its not a big problem to me, but its just something I noticed. (Considering the fact that there are 4 processors at work here, I think high fan work is expected)
  • Definitely a finger print magnet.
  • The keyboard and mousepad buttons seem a little delicate and too plastic-ey!
  • Lack of Bluetooth!
  • Loads of useless software comes pre-installed, but you can always remove it, so its not a major problem to me.
Summary:
Overall, I think this is a very good machine, perfect for someone who is not into extreme computing or super rich!
Good price, more than a decent performance, and good battery life.
I definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to buy a nice processor at a nice price!

The reason I've given it 5 stars despite a not too short list of cons is because none of those cons are a deal breaker to me, nor do they even remotely outweigh the pros of this product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment