Slideshow

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Toshiba Satellite L655-S5098 15.6-Inch

Toshiba Satellite L655-S5098 15.6-Inch LED Laptop (Fusion Finish in Helios Grey) (Personal Computers) 
This is the 4th laptop I have owned (HPs and a Sony before) and without a doubt, the greatest. This thing is not only beautiful but built like a tank. It is full featured, a super clean design with everything extremely well fitted. Not too heavy, and fast, with an outstanding display. I know that it isn't a top-end PC but to me, it is a super performer. I have boosted memory up to 8GB and also added a 500GB WD Black 7200RPM drive and it really gets up and moves. The eSATA/USB outlet allows super fast backups and data transfers with an external SATA disk. The SD card reader is very handy and is as fast as any card reader I have seen. The only thing that isn't quite so outstanding is the dual speakers but, hey, you can't expect booming, Hi-Fi stereo performance out of a laptop. They really are, however quite adequate. It gets about 5 honest hours per charge out of the stock battery. One thing that Toshiba seems to have done well recently is design a really efficient cooling system into their laptops. The L655 has no real hot spots. The internal fan seems super strong and the exhaust vents are super large and I don't even worry about overheating with this thing. The keyboard never even feels warm.

Toshiba has done well and I am extremely happy with my purchase. Amazon made this easy and painless with a super price and free shipping and life is good with my new dream machine!!!

Oh, just 2 negatives;
I did a baddie with Win7 the first day and needed to reload it. Luckily, I created the recovery discs immediately out of the box. The recovery went without a hitch, but I was astounded that the entire recovery procedure took over 2 1/2 hours. You MUST create those recovery discs immediately and be very, very careful.

This points to the only other negative I have found with this great piece of hardware; Toshiba's bloatware and Win7 installation is pathetic. I am relatively new to Win7 but I am studying up on it and getting there fast. I have a fresh Operating System disc and am preparing to do a cold installation of it using device drivers from the Toshiba web site. Will get back later and report on this activity.

Update 1/26/11
Loaded a fresh hard drive with a fresh and pure Win 7 and installed all the correct Intel and Toshiba drivers without the bloatware and it made all the difference in the world in performance. Before, performance wasn't exactly sluggish but wasn't spectacular either. Now, everything from start-up and program performance is like snap, snap, snap. The operating system partition is also about 1/3 smaller in bytes. I thought this was a great system before but now its like having a new, top performing system. WOW! What a computer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment